We’ve all heard about chestnuts roasting on an open fire, but how often has that actually been a holiday activity? For us it’s become a staple, so we’re here to help bring your families and friends together for this cozy, delicious (and easy!) treat that can be prepared in a traditional chestnut pan over an open fire or in the oven- it’s up to you.
Author: The Framed Table
2 dozen chestnuts
- With a sharp paring knife, or specially designed chestnut knife, cut an “X” into the flat side of each chestnut to keep them from exploding.
- Roast by one of the following methods (Open Fire or Oven)
- Open Fire Roasting: Roast over the fire in a chestnut pan for 10 to 15 minutes, shaking the pan frequently until all the shells pop open.
- Oven Roasting: Place chestnuts in a roasting pan, or on a rimmed cookie sheet and roast at 400 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes or until all the shells open.
- Allow to cool, then peel off the shells and enjoy!